Did you know that you can decrease your carbon footprint by packing less? We recommend choosing what you want to take and then dividing it by half, as you will have twice as much to bring back. Consider using items that will help you cut down on single-use plastics, such as reusable shopping bags, water bottle, coffee cup and lunchbox – and consider purchasing them in the UK to save on packing space.
What not to pack
- Candles, joss sticks or use naked flames or ‘hookah’ pipes
- Heaters, refrigerators or large electrical items
- Weapons or replica weapons, including guns, air guns, swords, knives, pepper spray, etc.
Buying items when you arrive in the UK
We recommend purchasing the following items once you have arrived in the UK, all of which can be purchased cheaply in shops or online at a good standard of quality.
- Chopping board
- Cooking utensils (saucepans etc)
- Knives, forks and spoons
- Plates, bowls, mugs etc
- Tin opener
- Food storage containers or clips to seal food bags.
- Bedding – you can purchase a bedding pack prior to your arrival
- Bath towels and hand towels
- Essential toiletries – soap, shampoo, shower gel, toothbrush and toothpaste
- Clothes hangers
- Laundry basket
- Laundry bag