Getting started with IT: a guide for new students
So you’ve arrived on campus and you are ready to start getting connected to the internet and other IT services and systems. This guide will help you to get started.
There are a range of useful resources on the IT website on MySurrey including quick and easy to follow guides and how-tos. You can find a range of helpful how-to videos on our IT Services YouTube channel too.
Here are some common things that you will want to do in your first few days and weeks at Surrey:
- Connect to the internet in your University accommodation
- Using wi-fi on campus
- Use our on-campus printers for printing, copying and scanning
- Download MySurrey App
- Access SurreyLearn
- Download software
View our introductory guides to help get you started:
- Welcome to IT (PDF)
- Introduction to IT for undergraduates (PDF)
- Introduction video to IT for undergraduates
- Introduction to IT for postgraduate researchers (PDF)
- Introduction video to IT for postgraduate researchers
- Eduroam and ResNet guide (PDF).
Don’t forget to access and protect your IT account before you arrive so that you can start accessing lots of services including your emails and our student app.
Still need help?
Chat to our IT Services team if you need support with accessing your IT account, any of the Office365 software or connecting to wi-fi on campus.
- IT website on MySurrey
- Phone: +44(0)1483 689898
- Live chat: it.surrey.ac.uk
- On campus IT support in the Library (during Welcome Week 10am to 2pm Monday to Friday. During semester 10am to 2pm Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Check the status of IT services across the University
- Timetable help: email@example.com.
- SurreyLearn help: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Surrey Self Service help: email@example.com
- Key contacts | Welcome (surrey.ac.uk).